Swedish Cardamom Buns
Please forgive me for this super delayed post. To say Working From Home got the better of me is an understatement. I’ve never been pre-occupied with work as much as I have since last year! I honestly miss going into the office and teaching students face-to-face, but alas what can one do? So long story short, this is overdue but I hope you will forgive my tardiness and make these Swedish Cardamom Buns because they are too bloody delicious. I used this recipe, with a few changes…
Cardamom Bun Dough
- 1 cup milk
- 10g dry active yeast (You can also use 7g, 10g makes a very light dough)
- 60g brown sugar
- 420g flour
- 1tsp whole cardamom seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 70 g butter, room temp. cubed.
- 60g butter, room temp. smooth.
- 2Tb brown sugar
- 1½ tsp freshly ground cardamom seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 60ml brown sugar
- 60ml water
- 1tsp ground cardamom seeds
- Oven needs to be pre-heated at 225°C – but not from now.
- For the dough, heat the milk until lukewarm. Add the yeast to the milk and stir until it has dissolved. Mix together the flour, sugar, cardamom and salt.
- Add milk-yeast-mixture to your dry ingredients. Add the butter in small cubes. Knead for about 5-10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and bounces back when it’s pressed. Cover and and let it rise for at least 40 – 60 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients for the filling to an even paste.
- Roll out the dough into a big rectangle. Spread the butter/sugar/spices filling onto the whole dough so that it covers the entire rectangle. With a knife, mark the dough into thirds. Fold the left side to the middle, then the right side. Slice the new 3 layered rectangle into 15-20 strips. Cut each of them again down the middle of each strip but not all the way to the top. Separate the two strands with the join in the middle and twist, then twist into a bun and wrap the loose ends around the top and tuck underneath.
- Put the buns on a baking tray and cover with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise in this shape for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake in the oven at 225°C for 8-10 minutes.
- To finish off the buns, make a syrup with the water, sugar and ground cardamom. Brush baked buns with cold syrup as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Enjoy while they are warm!! or freeze for later 😉
Let me know if you made these! and for more fluffy goodness, try out these delicious cinnamon rolls!