I’m sure you’re seen these edible flower cookies blow up all over the internet. Thanks to Pinterest and Vogue I have seen these almost everywhere! Even worse, I’ve seen other people make them and had major fomo. I had planned on making them for Eid, but the main ingredient (edible flowers) have been sold out/out of stock for a ridiculously long time. So when I saw them in Pick ‘n Pay the other day I didn’t hesitate to grab a packet. You can find the original Lori Stern recipe here, but I used this recipe and made a few substitutions.
Makes 24 cookies
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- edible flowers of your choice
- Mix flour and sugar together and cut butter into flour with a pastry blender or knife. I put everything into my food processor and blended until it resembled fine breadcrumbs.
- If you have a stand mixer, knead until the dough comes together in a soft ball. I used my hands, it takes some time to come together, don’t worry! It will be very crumbly in the beginning.
- Roll out dough in-between two sheets of greaseproof paper.
- Leave to cool in fridge for about 5 minutes and then cut out rounds with a cookie cutter. Place one flower or two or break them up (anything goes) on each cookie. Place greaseproof paper over flowers and lightly roll over them with a rolling pin to make the flowers stick.
- Place carefully on non-stick mat and bake in the oven for 180ºC until the edges are light brown.
- Sprinkle castor sugar over cookies as soon as they come out of the oven and cool on cooling rack.