Coconut and Yoghurt Loaf
This coconut and yoghurt loaf recipe has been my saving grace whenever I find myself with that leftover cup of yogurt that seems to linger endlessly in the fridge. I’ve tried using it up in various ways, like my trusty two-ingredient dough, but stumbled upon this gem from a Donna Hay recipe. Now, let me tell you, I had to make quite a few tweaks because, honestly, I rarely have all the ingredients on hand. But hey, isn’t that the beauty of cooking? Taking inspiration from recipes and turning them into something uniquely our own? So, here’s my version, and trust me, the coconut and yoghurt loaf that comes out does not disappoint!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup double cream/greek yoghurt
- 2 Tb lemon juice
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup fine desiccated coconut
- 1.5 cups cake flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and prepare 2 loaf tins or one bundt tin.
- Mix the following ingredients in a bowl (eggs, oil, yoghurt, lemon juice, castor sugar and coconut) until well combined.
- Sift in the cake flour and baking powder and fold into wet mixture.
- Pour into prepared tins and bake for 40 – 45 minutes. (I used 1 loaf tin, see below)**
- Ready! your coconut and yoghurt loaf is ready to be enjoyed 🙂
- My original substitution recipe had 3/4 cup oil but I found it a bit too oily. I Prefer the texture with 1/2 cup oil.
- **I used one loaf tin in this recipe and I think it was too small, hence my burnt edges. If it was a bigger tin it would have cooked much quicker. So lower the cooking time! It will probably take around 30 minutes.
- If your cake is getting too brown and has not fully cooked, cover the top with foil to prevent it browning further.
- You can make a cream cheese icing, yoghurt or plain icing sugar glaze or just leave it plain. It’s very rich and filling as it is.
Let’s just say, with each slice of this moist, coconut-infused loaf, I’ve found not just a solution for food waste but a delightful treat. Here’s to the versatility of recipes and the joy of turning kitchen experiments into delicious successes! If you are still in the mood for more baking, try this easy apple cake next. Or if your kitchen adventures want to take you into a more savoury journey, why not try and make this corn waffles that go well with just about anything you have on hand.